PSOM Limited Application - Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation Grant Program
To: All Faculty Members
From: Katherine L. Nathanson, MD and Scott D. Halpern, MD, PhD
Co-Chairs, PSOM Limited Applications Selection Committee
Subject: Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation Grant Program
Date: May 6, 2021
The Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation is a private foundation that funds basic biomedical research in St Louis and throughout the United States. The mission of the Foundation is to support early stage investigators engaged in biomedical research that has the potential to significantly advance the understanding, diagnosis, or treatment of disease. Each institution can submit one application and the Office of the Vice Provost for Research is coordinating the review and selection process for the University. Each school within the University may submit one candidate.
The funds are designed to provide faculty members who hold M.D. and/or Ph.D. degrees, and who are in the first to fourth year of a tenure-track position, with support to move the project forward to the point where R01 or other independent funding can be obtained. Note: Applicants with current R01 funding should not apply.
Faculty with a primary appointment at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) must apply through CHOP.
The regular grants provide $60,000 per year for a period of up to three years. The grants are not renewable. The Foundation will not fund overhead / indirect costs. Salary is acceptable.
PSOM Review Process:
Each candidate must submit the following:
- Cover page: Name of applicant, academic rank, department, school, email address, phone number, title of proposal
- a letter of recommendation from the applicant’s Chair, Division Chief or Institute Director
- a one page lay summary; applicants should bear in mind that the Foundation’s Trustees includes scientific and non-scientific members, making the lay summary of particular importance
- a two-page detailed proposal including project title, aims and objectives. References should also be included to support the proposal, but are not counted in the two page limit. The proposals should be targeted to the Trustees’ scientific members.
- biosketch in 5-page NIH format (along with attachment showing all past, current and pending research support information with annual award amounts)
Applicants are encouraged to review the Foundation’s website at http://www.emallinckrodtfoundation.org/Guidelines.html
Materials must be submitted in single PDF file in the following order: cover page, letter, lay summary, two page proposal and Biosketch. (Subject line should read: Mallinckrodt_ Applicant’s surname_Applicant's first name. For example: Mallinckrodt_Doe_Jane)
Materials must be submitted to Connie Weinstein at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00 AM on Friday, June 4, 2021.
If you have any questions please contact Connie Weinstein at email@example.com.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org