PSOM Limited Application - Johnson & Johnson WiSTEM2d Scholars Program
To: School of Medicine Faculty
From: Katherine L. Nathanson, MD and Scott D. Halpern, MD, PhD
Co-Chairs, PSOM Limited Applications Selection Committee
RE: Johnson & Johnson WiSTEM2D Scholars Program
Date: August 4, 2022
The Johnson & Johnson Scholars Award Program aims to fuel development of female STEM2D leaders and feed the STEM2D talent pipeline by awarding and sponsoring women at critical points in their careers, in each of the STEM2D disciplines: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Manufacturing and Design.
The awards will fund early to mid-career women working within a STEM2D university department. The goal is to fuel the research passion of the awarded women and inspire career paths in their respective STEM2D fields. Johnson & Johnson is looking to identify global women who demonstrate evidence of both outstanding scholarship AND outstanding mentorship of other women.
Each school may submit one candidate for each of the six STEM2D categories: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Manufacturing and Design. The Office of the Vice Provost for Research (OVPR) will determine the final candidates to represent the University. Applicants are encouraged to review the program guidelines and past awardees: https://www.jnj.com/wistem2d-university-scholars.
The Scholars Award is a 3-year award in the gross amount of $150,000, which will be paid in three (3) installments of $50,000 per year, to the University (the “Recipient”) for the benefit of the J&J Scholar and her research.
Candidate must be:
- A woman working in the field(s) of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Manufacturing and Design (STEM2D).
- An early to mid-career woman (assistant or associate professor) working within a STEM2D university department at the time of application.
- The female scholar should have a minimum degree for the appropriate field:
- Science: MD, PhD
- Technology: PhD
- Engineering: PhD
- Math: MS, PhD
- Manufacturing: PhD
- Design: MA, MS, MDes, MArch, MFA, MLA, PhD
Award criteria/Standards for evaluation:
Judges will use the following criteria to evaluate the applications:
- Scientific/technical expertise exhibited
- Novelty/innovation of the research
- Potential impact of the research
- Feasibility of the research
An updated FAQ is available at the following link: https://www.jnj.com/wistem2d/faq.
PSOM Selection Process:
Each candidate must submit the following:
- Cover page with Name, Academic Rank, Department, Contact information, Date of appointment to the University and STEM2D category of applicant
- A chair/department head letter of recommendation
- 1,000 words detailing your proposed area of research. One additional page can be added for images or references. In the header, please specify which category you wish to apply for.
- CV (no longer than three pages, font size 11), including a list of publications, presentations, abstracts, current financial support already obtained (direct dollars per year), other folio work and two references.
Materials must be submitted in single pdf file in the order listed above.
Subject line should read: J&J Scholar_ Applicant’s surname_Applicant's first name. For example: J&JScholar_Doe_Jane
Materials must be submitted to Kaitlyn Hagarty at Kaitlyn.Hagarty@pennmedicine.upenn.edu by 9:00 AM on Friday, September 9, 2022.
Please send any questions to email@example.com