PSOM Limited Application - Searle Scholars Program
To: School of Medicine Faculty
From: Katherine L. Nathanson, MD and Scott D. Halpern, MD, PhD
Co-Chairs, PSOM Limited Applications Selection Committee
Re: Searle Scholars Program
Date: June 9, 2022
The University has been invited to nominate two candidates for the Searle Scholars Program. The Office of the Vice Provost for Research (OVPR) is managing the final candidate review and selection process; each school within the University may submit the names of up to two candidates.
- Applicants are expected to be pursuing independent research programs in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and related areas in chemistry, medicine, and the biological sciences.
- Applicants should have begun their appointment as an independent investigator at the assistant professor level on or after July 1, 2021. The appointment must be their first tenure-track position.
- The Searle Scholars Program does not ordinarily support purely clinical research but has supported research programs that include both clinical and basic components. Potential applicants who are unsure if their research is appropriate for the Program are encouraged to examine the research interests of present and former Searle Scholars on their website.
- Applicants who were nominated for awards in the previous competition year but were not awarded may still meet the eligibility criteria for the current competition.
- Grants are currently set at $300,000 for a three-year period, with $100,000 payable in the first year and equal sums payable in the second and third years
- Complete program description: https://www.searlescholars.net/competition
- List of Searle awardees by institution: https://www.searlescholars.net/scholarships/all?grouping=current_institution
PSOM Review Process
Each candidate must submit the following in the order below:
- Cover Page: Candidate name, academic rank, school, department, email address, phone number, and month and year of appointment to the PSOM faculty
- A letter of nomination from their Department Chair or Division Chief
- Research proposal (must include proposal title) no longer than two pages (references not included in the 2 page limit).
- A CV, and current, expired and pending funding with award amounts (direct dollars per year)
- Materials must be submitted in a single pdf file
- Pdf document should be titled as follows: SearleScholar__Applicant’s surname_Applicant’s first name. For Examples: SearleScholar_Doe_John.pdf
- Materials must be submitted to Kaitlyn Hagarty at Kaitlyn.Hagarty@pennmedicine.upenn.edu by 9:00 am on Friday, July 1, 2022.
If you have any questions please contact Kaitlyn Hagarty at Kaitlyn.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send any questions to email@example.com